A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality.
~Yoko Ono

Friday, May 9, 2008

'It's Your School'

Following are two letters from David Barrett to keep you aware of a advocacy initiative going on in the Halifax Regional Municipality. The thing is, though, I see no reason to keep this great idea limited to the Halifax Board.

What if every school board in the Province had a representative to speak on behalf of special needs students?
Hello Everyone,

Just want to update you in regards to requesting that a position be created for a representative to speak on behalf of students with special needs on the Halifax Regional School Board. Things are moving along well. The Nova Scotia Utilities and Review Board has informed me that they are unable to make a decision of this magnitude. They were also kind enough to forward our e-mails along to the Minister of Education, Karen Casey.

I have also contacted members of the Lib and NDP parties to inform them of the importance of this position if our students are to receive an education appropriate to meeting their needs. I strongly encourage you to express your views and concerns to you local MLA.

The more communication emphasizing the importance of having a Students with Special Needs Representative on the Halifax Regional School Board that crosses their
computers/desks, the better. I am asking that you work with me and contact your
MLA to educate them about this important issue.

If you didn’t have a chance to express your support for this position the first time I made this appeal, there is still time. You can send you letter via email to the
Honourable Minister Karen Casey at: EDUCMIN@gov.ns.ca .

In closing, I would like to thank all of you for supporting our children when it comes to have meaningful programming,

David Barrett , Parent Advocate.
dbarrettl@hotmail.com


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~


Dear Education Minister Karen Casey,

I am writing this e-mail in regards to am e-mail campaign I am presently leading. I have also made my MLA Berry Barnet aware of this campaign and who has shown his support and has agreed to speak to you in regards to this subject.

As a parent of a 14 year old special need student and a advocate for children and youth with special needs, who has worked diligently with the HRSB and government departments is regards to education of students with special needs. I find that policy and programming are not properly enforced or even in place in regards to the board it self and in order to fulfil the proper needs of all students to a successful and meaningful education there has to be changes made so that when policy and programming is designed in the HRSB that there is a representative around the table that dedicates to the issues of 20% of the HRSB's student population that are special needs.

Be it resolved that I hear by request for you, Karen Casey the Minister of Education to take a firm look at providing a seat on the HRSB and any other school board which has a special needs population of 15% or more to have a special needs representative.
There for all students within these boards would be evaluated equally when it came to programming and policies(not just the "normal" students).

Along with this I will be sending a copy of this e-mail and the letters of support to other education ministers and my MLA Barry Barnet. As of present I know that you have received approximately 35 e-mails in campaign regarding this issue, some of which were forwarded to you from the UARB board.

In closing I would like to thank you for this opportunity of making sure that our educational system provides a successful and meaningful education for all students, for this is the only goal in which will benefit the education system. I look forward to your response and I will continue correspondence with the other education ministers which I know will be questioning you in regards to this subject.

Thank-
You Parent Advocate,
David Barrett

So what we are going to do about it?



Following is a link to all of the school boards in the Province. Click on the link to your Board and let your thoughts be known. After all, if not you, than who?


No comments: