A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality.
~Yoko Ono

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Holding Their Feet to the Fire

There was an excellent interview with Archie Kiaser regarding Nichele Benn's situation on the Global Morning Show today. Unfortunately, no matter what I do, I simply cannot embed it. So I'm afraid that you'll just have to follow the link. Go ahead. I will wait for you.

As Archie so rightly points out, the criminal justice is simply not geared to deal with people with mental illness and intellectual disabilities. In his words, it's all about "judging and punishing" and, in this case, that's not going to do Nichele or society any good.

In my words, shame on the Department of Community Services, Quest Regional Rehabilitation Centre and the Crown prosecutor involved for creating this situation in the first place.

Think about it - the comparison of Nichele's situation to that of Ashley Smith isn't that far off the mark, is it? Is this what Nova Scotia will become known for? Will/Can we allow this to continue?

There is obviously much more to be said (and done) on this subject, but I'm afraid I must leave you for now - Part II on the Criminal Justice System simply isn't going to write itself, is it?

No comments: